Thursday, December 25, 2014

Review of: Rise(Eve, #3) by Anna Carey

Rise (Eve, #3)Rise(Eve, #3) by Anna Carey

Page Count(Paperback Edition): 310 pgs
Publisher: HarperCollins
Released: April 2nd, 2013
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
My Rating: 2/5 stars
Read: from 10/26/14 to 12/22/14
Source: Books-A-Million
Synopsis: 

How far will you go when you have nothing left to lose?

When she lost her soul mate, Caleb, Eve felt like her world had ended. Trapped in the palace, forced to play the part of the happy, patriotic princess of The New America—and the blushing bride of her father's top adviser—Eve's whole life is a lie. The only thing that keeps her going is Caleb's memory, and the revolution he started.

Now, Eve is taking over where Caleb left off. With the help of Moss, an undercover subversive in the King's court, she plots to take down The New America, beginning with the capital, the City of Sand. Will Eve be able to bring about a new, free world when she's called upon to perform the ultimate act of rebellion—killing her father?

In Rise, Eve must choose who to leave behind, who to save, and who to fight as Anna Carey's epic tale of romance and sacrifice in the chilling dystopia of The New America comes to a stunning conclusion.
 
(from Goodreads)

First off, Merry Christmas everyone, if you celebrate it! I had a wonderful day with family and friends, and I'm looking forward to the coming days to spend time with some special people :)

Okay so I have to be truthful here, but also give the author some credit. The first half of the book, I had huge aspirations for. I was completely happy, until the ending. From there, Carey lost me. I have no words other than I'm disappointed in this trilogy's ending.

By far, the first 2 books in the series provided more rapid heartbeats than this book had the potential to. For lack of a better word, I was bored. I was utterly heartbroken at the end of Once when Caleb died, and didn't have much faith that the author could bring me out of the depressed hole she dug. 

I don't want to spoil anything but I do have to say that the ending was very unsatisfying. I felt that so much was left unsaid and unanswered, I'm so antsy. I NEED the answers! A certain character gets killed but I knew it was coming. I'm happy hes gone actually. But there was no drama to his death!! I was baffled. After all the struggle, he was gone in a split second.

Eve remained pretty true to herself  throughout the book and pregnancy, which was a relief. Of course, the baby is Caleb's. OF COURSE it is. She decided to lead a group of girls from a mixture of schools to Califia, the women's camp in the Outlands. I have to get her credit as well; there is no way I could have survived pregnant in the wild. She's tough as a rock.

One big positive was how easily I have been able to imagine "The New America" in the past 3 books. I visualize the capital, City of Sand being located along the East Coast of the US, around where Alabama is presently. I see the outlands as everything north, east and west of the capital walls. Directly north of the capital, I picture Califia to be stantioned, with their many houses and rivers and lakes. Due west from there, I see Eve's old School, and nearby there, I see her old house and neighborhood. It's sad, I can only picture what it looked like after the virus..

Overall, Rise didn't do much for me. The epilogue left me only slightly satisfied knowing that Eve is able to have a happy life in the future. Too brief, too short, etc. Not my cup of tea as the 3rd and final book of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate each and every single comment that I get. I will try to reply to all, because all of you deserve it! Please be sure to check back and see my reply!